From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Ventral Strakes, do they reduce performance?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:34:46 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Ronald,

I had the Mike Custard ventrals and I have to say the plane was quite stable in yaw.   e.g. better than a Mooney Rocket.
However, I also flew N409L in training which is a straight IV and didn't notice any big problem with yaw stability.
That said, I road in another IVP back seat on a bumpy (thermals ) day and didn't like the ride at all.  Not sure if it was the pilot
or the airplane.

I am unable to say if the Mike Custard ventrals add a lot more drag as I never flew my plane without them.   You might want to get some aerodynamic analysis if you go that route.   Mike's fins were definitely designed to solve a real problem with the turbines so if an argument could be made that ventrals have any use on a piston it could probably also be made that those big dual fins are overkill.

I think I agree with Bob that you don't need a ventral fin for cruise comfort.
My interest in them was somewhat speculative and in relation to stalls.   The thought was that the vstab is largely blanketed by the wing at high angles of attack so that a ventral fin might be more effective for avoiding a yaw departure.   I will probably never know the answer to that but I will note that the Columbia 400 has a ventral fin.

As far as the yaw damper goes. I have a Sorcerer with the yaw damper.   So far i haven't got it do anything useful in turbulence.   I'm still working with Tru-Trak on that.

Colyn