From: Robert R Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Ventral Strakes, do they reduce performance?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:31:02 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Ron,
In answer to your questions below, don’t waste your money on ventral strakes, etc, unless you have a turbine. The gear typically doesn’t come up symmetrically in the Lancair IV, causing some yawing due to the asymmetrical drag during retraction. This doesn’t seem to be a problem on extension, but I don’t believe the strakes, or yaw dampening, will make any significant difference if this is your issue. You and your passengers will very quickly get used to it and consider it “part of the ride.”

Bob

N437RP at 680 hours and flying!

Hello guys

Me again, I just had my first lesson with the Lancair 4p (with JC) and when I took off the plane was wiggling its tail like a happy dog LOL Nothing scary, but this I can imagine could be annoying for passengers.

Now I was looking on the internet and found that Ventral Strakes  were used to fight against those 'yaw' effects.

It suppose to help with turbulence, go-arrounds, full power take offs as well.

My very near future plane (we are almost closing ;) is a newer one, so the tail section was already updated to the latest.

But looking at my passengers (I fly with my Son and Girlfriend a lot) this could be disturbing for them and I was already thinking of installing the Yaw damper (I have the tru-trak sorcerer) and perhaps also installing those Ventral strakes.

Does anybody have experience (before and after) with those? And would you recommend those?

Thanks — Ronald Stevens (Cirrus 1100 hours, Velocity 250 hours, Lancair 4p student now with 1 hour LOL)