From: Bob Rickard <r.rickard@rcginc-us.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Airplane needs to be "fixed," Stall Speeds, Wing Cuffs, Vortex Generators for L...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:51:24 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jarrett
I think this is a good discussion, and I'm not trying to boast about my fortunate flying career or be pretentious in any way.  Just being direct.

First of all, let's define the difference between a stall and "out of control".  The F-16 flight control computer was designed to not allow an AOA (in positive pitch) of above 25 degrees no matter what the pilot asks for with the stick.  At that AOA limit, the wing is not flying anymore, but the plane handles just fine ( usually in a big sink rate unless you are low with the AB cookin).  We used this AOA to slow down and get nose authority for fighting.  Out of control is a different animal all together.  If you overshoot the roll/pitch/yaw limiters and truly are not in control of the nose, it's an emergency procedure.  You really have to try hard to make this happen, but it does happen every so often.  So it is a misconception to say that the F-16 has "super poor" stall recovery ability.  In fact, a select few of us each year get to go to Edwards and intentionally put an F16 out of control repeatedly, and practice recovering from it.  As long as you have some altitude and the CG of the airplane is not intentionally mishandled, you can recover every time with the proper technique.  Bottom line,  It's a very poor comparison to the 4P.

Additionally, I didn't say I was more comfortable in a fighter, I said the 4P is harder to land, which it is.  The F16 is still at flying speed when you land, so its easy to handle near the runway ( long story offline about F16 landing technique).  The HUGE wing on the F22 makes landing a piece of cake.  My very first landing in the F22 was better than my very best landing in the 4P, because there is so much more design differences (leading edge flaps, HUD, digital flight control computer, 70,000 pounds of thrust if you need it, etc) that aide landing.

I will say it again, the 4p doesn't need fixed (the strake for a turbine 4P excluded I guess).  In my opinion, what needs fixed are some pilots attitude toward the airplane.  Maybe the fact that this is an experimental aircraft gives some people the idea that they can mess with it.  I think there is a big difference on whether you have sunshades in the cockpit or change the baggage door locking mechanism vs. fooling with the aero design.  There had to be a thousand tradeoffs in the design process for this airplane.  I for one think Lance made the right choices for a plane that has very unique performance characteristics.  Takeoff, Go fast, cruise in a straight line a far distance, land, Period.  Faster and more efficient than anything else like it in the world.  It wasn't designed to fly slow, do acro, stalls/spins, or anything of the kind.  If you "fixed" all of the perceived problems with the 4P, you would end up with a Cessna or Bonanza.  You can't have it both ways.   Don't think that other airplanes ability to do these things safely is a reason that you should try it in a 4P.  If you can't stay ahead of the airplane in all circumstances enough to avoid a stall, or if you must go practice a stall for your own reasons, then don't get a 4P.  Get a Cirrus so you can ride a parachute if you mess up.

Does a 737 or 747 need fixed because it can't stall and recover easily?  No, and airline pilots don't go there either, except in the simulator.  It was designed for cruise efficiency.  Same story with the 4P,and we don't have a simulator to practice in either!

I'm comfortable with my family in the airplane because I know the limits of the airplane.  I know it won't act good in a stall so I'm not going there.  I'm not saying you should not learn those skills in another airplane that was designed for it, but I am saying that outside of the testing/certification process on this airplane it is a bad idea, no matter what your skill level is.  I accept the fact that my desire for high speed efficient cruising necessitates a high landing speed and poor high AOA performance.    When I was checked out in my aircraft, we slowed down to the onset for a demonstration of the aircraft performance, with plenty of altitude below us.  Now I know where the limit is, and to never go there.  4P pilots should not either, in my opinion.