From: RONALD STEVENS <ronald@sdc.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Ventral Strakes, do they reduce performance?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:34:47 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Hello guys

Me again, I just had my first lesson with the Lancair 4p (with JC) and when I took off the plane was wiggling its tail like a happy dog LOL Nothing scary, but this I can imagine could be annoying for passengers.

Now I was looking on the internet and found that Ventral Strakes  were used to fight against those 'yaw' effects.
It suppose to help with turbulence, go-arrounds, full power take offs as well.

My very near future plane (we are almost closing ;) is a newer one, so the tail section was already updated to the latest.

But looking at my passengers (I fly with my Son and Girlfriend a lot) this could be disturbing for them and I was already thinking of installing the Yaw damper (I have the tru-trak sorcerer) and perhaps also installing those Ventral strakes.

Does anybody have experience (before and after) with those? And would you recommend those?

Thanks — Ronald Stevens (Cirrus 1100 hours, Velocity 250 hours, Lancair 4p student now with 1 hour LOL)