From: Matt Hapgood <matt.hapgood@alumni.duke.edu>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: LNC2 Nose Strut
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:24:29 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

The nosegear strut on my LNC2 360 has leaked a couple times in the 10 years I have been flying my plane, requiring significant down time while the strut was removed and sent to Lancair for overhaul.

The strut is now leaking again.  My local repair facility has indicated they could rebuild themselves (same day turnaround) if I could get a seal kit.  But Lancair won’t sell the seal kit… they require the strut be returned to them.  This is a major pain for me because I fly my plane for business every week, sometimes twice a week.

Anyone else been down this path and found a viable rebuild solution for a quick turnaround at a reasonable price?

FYI, the A&P opened the strut a few years ago and we identified all the seals.  They are all “standard” with the exception of 1 seal.  We’ve identified a supplier for the seals but they are requiring a 40 seal minimum order…

Matt Hapgood

N366B (1300 hours and flying better than ever)