From: Ken <kkellner1@new.rr.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Door Seal on the IV-P
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:55:18 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Bob,

I don't have the main gear drawing that you are looking for, but I do have some pictures of the down lock and components.  The spring force holding the down lock pin in the down position is a series of Belleville washers.

Last July, on take off, down lock pin, retaining cup, and washers ejected from the right cylinder.  There was no damage to the circlip or the retaining groove so I can only assume the circlip was not originally installed properly.  I have no idea why it lasted 150 hours and then decided to let go.  I found all of the parts, less a few of the washers, in the wheel well after landing.  I'll send you the pictures off line because of the file size.  If anyone else wants them just let me know.

If you hear a loud POP during gear retraction, and it doesn't sound the same as the gear doors closing, and your hydraulic pump keeps running, and your flaps wont retract, I would suspect the down lock pin exiting the gear cylinder is a possibility.  The emergency hand pump still works just fine.  There is enough fluid in the reservoir below the electric pump pick up point.  Keep in mind that the down lock pin is gone so the bleed through in the system along with the airflow against the gear in the down position is enough to make the offending gear move off of the full down position and the gear light may start winking at you on final so be ready to give it a stroke or two on short final.  Maintain full aft elevator after landing and be easy on the brakes to avoid having the offending gear leg roll over center and collapse.

Ken Kellner
LOBO Member
IV-P  N14LK