From: Skip Slater <skipslater@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] On board weather
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:00:14 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Don,
   If you want to look into installing ADS-B in your plane (which will eventually be required as part of Next Gen ATC gear), it will receive all of the weather services you've been paying for at no cost through FIS-B (flight information service-broadcast).  The only one out there I know of that's fully compliant with the FAA's final ADS-B specs and is available now is from NavWorx (www.navworx.com), but you need to call Bill Moffitt and make sure his ADS-600B box is compatible with your avionics.  I have the box in my ES and am getting traffic with it, but Bill is still fine tuning the software for the FIS-B to work with my GMX-200 MFD.
  The problem for Bill is that he has to get his software to work with a whole host of different equipment manufacturers.  There are some that work now (like Chelton, for example) and others which still need their software tweaked, but he's making progress and is hoping to have the unit STC'd for certified aircraft soon.
   Skip Slater
   N540ES