From: paul miller <paul@tbm700.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: AOA
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:32:01 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Further to the issue of the AOA.  The Advanced AOA in my Legacy is useful.   Failing any other stall warning device and lack of any pre-stall buffet, this is the only electronic device to provide a warning.   It does not require a stall to setup, I just re-did my calibration last week and no stall is required.

A secondary feature is the ability to adjust approach speeds more accurately reference landing weights which vary widely.

Another feature is that the AOA from Advanced has a pinout to connect to a stick shaker, bell, warning horn or any other device to signal a high angle of attack.

My guess is that the risk of stall is not high in normal smooth day vfr operations but probably useful when problems develop, the attitude goes wrong and disorientation or other upset occurs.  At least something besides your brain would be able to signal that a stall is imminent.  There is nothing else in the Legacy panel or flight characteristics I'm aware of that warns of such a situation so I believe it is a wise addition to the panel.

So, don't let anyone tell you that installation of this particular device requires stall testing.  Just not required.

Paul
Spruce Creek