From: Robert R Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] And how about a full feathering prop?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:32:00 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Ronald wrote:

For what I have gathered so far the lancair 4p has a glide ratio similar like a piano LOL In other words if the engine quits then open the door, throw out your keys because there is where you land LOL

Well, this might not be true, or is it?

So how about the full feathering prop ? Does anyone have experience with the before and after installation?  How much they cost and data?

And I needed to respond to this…

My IV-P has a glide ratio (at 120 KIAS) of between 5:1 and 20:1, depending on configuration. The difference is truly amazing/impressive/sobering… depending on your situation and mind set. With the gear and flaps down and the RPM at max (prop all the way in), the glide ratio approximates that of a brick…not really, but you’re coming down so fast relative to forward progress that it’s difficult to plan and execute a planned touchdown (at least for me). With the gear and flaps up, AND THE PROP CONTROL ALL THE WAY OUT, my glide ratio at gross weight is approximately 18:1, increasing to a bit better than 20:1 at 800# under gross. At this glide ratio, the performance and “sight picture” approximates that of some gliders. It’s easy to plan and execute an approach and landing to a pre-planned spot…ideally a runway. I have practiced this many times from various altitudes/distances from the airport to a full stop on the runway, using the gear to increase my descent rate, and then the flaps and/or the prop control to adjust the touchdown point. Using the prop control is ideal because the drag effect/descent rate increase almost immediately reversible by pushing it back in. Not so with the flaps.  One feature of my Chelton EFIS is a wind-adjusted glide range predictor. I have tested this many times starting at altitudes up to 17,500’ and  (set at 18:1) gives me a very accurate and immediate sight picture of airfields within glide range. If it’s within the green circle, I can turn toward an airfield and execute a safe landing there. My MT 4-blade is not full feathering, but allows the engine to run at approximately 700 RPM when at idle and the RPM set to min. I believe this is pretty close to 0 thrust, as the engine idles at approximately 600 RPM on the ground.

So, in summary, the throw out the keys and follow them down scenario can be executed if you really want to go down, but a planned glide at 120 KIAS (very close to best glide for my airplane) in clean configuration yields approximately the performance of a 2-place sail plane—and you have the ability to transition easily between these limits as needed. Try it; you’ll be  impressed.

Bob

PS: I considered and rejected a full feathering prop for what I have. Wouldn’t  trade for any amount of money…