From: Bill Wade <super_chipmunk@roadrunner.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: IVP Aileron Pressure Box Part 1
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:46:36 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
  Because of all the attachments I’m sending this in two parts. My apologies Marv-

Hello Mike-

  I had the exact same problem and was saved by help from another builder. Maybe I can do the same for you and any others trying to make sense of the manual. I found it difficult difficult because so many things have to be aligned simultaneously. The wings determine the pushrod location, that determines the bellcrank/aileron box location, and the box also has to be aligned with the aileron torque tube & crosstube.

  I also wondered about the reinforcement and the best I could determine was that it wasn’t needed for mine (August 2007 kit). The page is dated 9/28/93 so I’d say that if you have the premolded aileron box similar to mine you’ll be all right. I’ve heard there is reinforcing needed near the door frame but I’m still not entirely sure what should be done. Could someone tell us about that?

  I probably spent way too much time and effort but this is how I went about it:

I located the aileron pushrod hole by shining a flashlight from the speed brake pocket and marking where it showed on the fuselage, then starting the hole from that reference. It worked pretty well. The picture shows how I centered the pushrods in the wing. A used mix cup works best because the epoxy provides strength. Just cut a hole in the center for the pushrod.

The CAD sketch shows the range of travel for the intermediate pushrod and the bellcranks. The pushrod travels inward and outward a certain amount as the bellcrank arms swing through their arc so that affects the location of the shaft seal plate.  I found the round seals supplied by Lancair don’t quite cover everything so I made square ones from HDPE (kitchen cutting board).

The difficult part was to make sure the lower bellcrank can move fully without hitting the cover or the back of the box. AND there has to be some clearance from the floor for a flange. I ended up setting it 4.25” off the bottom of the box as shown. The upper was set 7.87” above that, center-to-center. It ends up mounted right against the flange- the box sides aren’t square so a flox release is helpful. The bearing is reversed from the manual.