From: John Hafen <j.hafen@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Upgrading to IV-P or IV-PT from a Legacy
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:56:49 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jay:

I'm biased.  So take this with a grain of salt.

I love my IVP.   I'm currently on the "road" traveling in my IVP.  I brought with me a huge suitcase, communications gear, and, most importantly, golf clubs (including the giant mondo tour bag).  I climb out at 1500 FPM at about 40 GPH, cruise at 17 GPH, and can fly much longer than I can go without having to take a pee.  I can hit Vegas from my home in Seattle, non-stop.  Or Fresno to see the grand kids.

Pressurization is lovely.  Air conditioning is sweet.  Having a back seat to load up with gear, and a baggage section in the tail, lets me bring the kitchen sink with me on the road.

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

The only better load handler was my Cessna T210, where you could take out the back seats and carry an extra Corvette engine for a friend.  But I didn't have pressurization or air conditioning, and I flew at 155 KIAS versus 270 KIAS.

A turbine climbs out faster, but burns way more fuel and doesn't have the range or the load capacity.  Admittedly, it is sexier, but you can't take as much stuff or go as far.  Or get insurance.

The new Lancair Evolution is a great bird, but won't hit 300 KIAS in cruise.  Even so, If money is no object for you, I would recommend an Evolution, rather than a IVP-T.  Or better yet, a Piper Jet, or a Pilatus.

And I hear the new Gulfstream is pretty nice.

But for the money, the IVP with a Continental TSIO 550 is a pretty cool, sexy, cost efficient, capable machine.  Too bad they aren't making the kits any more.  Big mistake on the part of Lancair, IMHO.

And in the end, airplanes are like women.  Everyone likes something a little different.

Call if you want to chat.

John Hafen
IVP 413AJ  300 hours
206 830-0700