From: Jay Phillips <jayph@fastairplane.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Upgrading to IV-P or IV-PT from a Legacy
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:29:29 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

I’ve owned my Legacy for about 18 months and 230 hours. It’s hard to imagine living without it. But I’ve started to look longingly at IV-P’s and IV-PT’s. My main interest is pressurization. Additional speed and seats would be nice. My wife’s main interest is air conditioning (I know that A/C is available for the Legacy. I’m not telling her about that J ).

I’ve been doing my research on costs, both acquisition and operation, and I think I have a understanding of those.

I’m looking for comments/observations regarding the wisdom or lack thereof of moving from a Legacy to a IV-P. I’m also interested in people’s thoughts on the turbine versus piston. I’ve read a bunch on this topic. My conclusion is that, logically, there are insufficient benefits (relative to costs) to the turbine. But there are large emotional benefits, and if there was no emotional satisfaction in flying I probably wouldn’t do it at all.

My wife (the more rational member of this partnership) says I need to fly in both types (piston and turbine) before I make a choice. She’s probably right (she usually is). Anyone west of the Mississippi (I’m in Prescott, AZ, but willing to travel) willing to introduce me to the joys of the IV-P (piston or turbine)?

Jay Phillips

Legacy N92SX