From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: air filter
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:46:28
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scott Dahlgren was commenting on the intake air filter and, apparently
more agree that it's possibly a disaster waiting to happen than you
know. When the factory pilot (Mike DeHate), who did the first flight
and checked me out in my plane did his inspection, one of the first
things he told me was to remove the foam I had installed as a intake
filter per the manual. He said I could put it back in later if I
wished but it shouldn't be there while he was dealing with a brand
new airplane. I think he was afraid it would come apart and clog the
carburetor throat. I figured that if he didn't want it in there,
neither did I - so I've never put in anything (other than the
elephant filter mentioned in a post yesterday which originally
supported the aft side of the foam).
There are quite a number of Lancairs flying in this area that use no
filter. Even so, I'm not entirely comfortable running without one.
Since I'm planning to install a new cowl eventually, at that time I
will try to figure out how to get a filter in there. Some preliminary
doodling gives me hope that I might be able to use one that Rutan
recommended for the LongEZ, a NAPA #2904 (equiv. Purolator #AFP-177
or AC #44-8C). It'll be a challenge, but what else is new?
Incidentally, I have always had an oil analysis done at each oil
change and silicon content (dirt) has been listed as "normal".
Go figure.

Dan Schaefer
N235SP