From: Tom Giddings <v35b@akos.net>
Subject: gascolator
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:53:33 -0500
To: Lancair Mail List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Angier: In answer to your Question.There is no need to provide a means
to eliminate water firewall forward.If you sump your fuel tanks before
every flight you will have done about as much as you can to eliminate
any water in a quanity that could cause an engine failure .The truth is
that most water in your fuel system in the amount sufficient to stop
your engine would come from,contaminated fuel,condensation,leaky fuel
caps.Another interesting point is that fuel is like a cloud ,it holds
water like a sponge when warm and rings it out when cold.It does this in
your fuel tank.Not firewall forward.If you think that the few ounces of
fuel standing in your gascolator with a little water in it will stop
your engine .It will not If your gascolator were in a cold area(like
Bonanza's)you could get ice crystals and you know what would happen
then.Another reason not to have a gascolator.They will trap two by fours
and the odd rodent that may get in your fuel tank(G)I have a 100 micron
fuel filter with a large filter area to trap anything that could plug an
injector nozzle.(that is exciting when that happens)And it is in a warm
area.I am interested to here any other opinions on the subject.I am
always willing to learn(MAYBE)

Tom Giddings 360TM