From: William T Bartlett <WTBARTLETT@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re:Hydraulic pump circuit breaker LNC 2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:54:15 -0700
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The question that was ask, was how do you shut off the hyd pump if it runs
away, if you can't  reach the 50 amp breaker. I can reach mine, but it is a
standard breaker (not pull off = expensive).
1: The mandatory drop gear testing will make the pressure 0 and your pump
will run continuously, which will make it overheat - the drop test is slow.
If you use the factory intermediate duty breakers, they will often fail
during a drop test.
2: Any breaker point can hang leaving the pump running which will fill the
cockpit with smoke, this causes a situatuation that is much less esthetic
than an extra switch/breaker. Ask Don Goetz.
I think I have a very esthetic ( inexpensive - aluminum) panel, and it has a
way to shut down the hyd pump. If any one wants a JPG tell me.
Bill
>The little bitty wires to
> the relays are protected by the fuse.  This fuse will protect the wiring
> the relays.  I can't envision a situation where I would want to disable
the
> pump but keep the relays powered, so one breaker cuts off everything> Why
a fuse and not another breaker?  I have a Control Vision power
> distribution system mounted to the slanted panel on the old-style 320/360
> panel, plus separate breakers for hydraulic pump, pitot heat, and main
power
> to the power distibution system.  There's no room for a pump relay circuit
> breaker, but there is room for a fuse.  It would be aesthetically
unpleasing
> if I mounted another breaker elsewhere.  Otherwise, a breaker would be
fine.

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to marvkaye@olsusa.com.