From: Bob <rab22@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: MicroSytems VM1000
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:41:54 -0800
To: ll <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tom, you are not alone in your problems with vision.

I have a Vision EPI800 system, which uses the same DPU as the VM1000,
but has 8 separate instruments plugged into the ribbon cable.

A few weeks ago the manifold pressure started reading "er".  They tell
me the DPU needs to be sent back to have that repaired.
The voltmeter has always read 1/2 volt high, I'm used to that.  The
ammeter reading wanders around,  usually OK, but may read +3 amps when
engine is off, may jump up from the normal zero in cruise to +18 amps
for a while, I've learned to ignore that.

The tachometer got real jumpy, and that problem at least was fixed by
replacing the core of the tach cable, which had lost its torsional
stiffness.

Two days ago I noticed that the fuel flow reading drops by .5 gal per
hour when I turn on the boost pump,  even though the pressure is going
UP from 22 to 32 psi.  I don't think the flow is really changing, as
there are no other observable signs, even at idle.

This is a system that was back at the factory less than six months ago
for a $600 upgrade to change from a O235 to and IO320 engine.

When the weather gets a little worse here, I plan to send it back to
vision and hope for the best.

Bob Belshe
Moraga, CA
Lancair 235/320 N19BJ