From: Aaron May <aaronmay1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Legacy Hydraulic Hose Arrangement
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
To: Lancair List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I made the hydraulic hoses for the Legacy landing
gear, which has an over-center locking type mechanism
(for all the non-legacy builders trying to picture
it).  The hydraulic cylinder is about 10" long (a
guess - I'm not near the plane right now), and has
high and low-pressure ports that call for 90 degree
fittings set up to face eachother.  Because the two
fittings face eachother, one of the hoses (the one
that connects to the fitting on the cylinder that is
inboard of the other) has to go above the other
fitting and then loop 180 degrees to head inboard -
the other hose is much shorter and is shown in the
plans as going straight from the outboard fitting to
the fitting on the rib (no loops or anything).  When I
attach the hoses and retract the gear, the cylinder
moves upward slightly and it seems as though the
longer hose, even when secured with a clamp, finds
itself a bit past where the top skin would rest.  I
have tried securing the hose to have the absolute
least amount of space between it and the other
fitting, but it always ends up either chaffing on the
other fitting or extending up into that top skin.  The
cylinder itself seems to be a pretty tight fit in
there as it is.  Is it supposed to be this tight of a
fit?  (no fit at all)  I am wondering what other
Legacy builders have experienced with this thus far.
Thanks in advance!

Aaron May
N589SF

_