From: Lynda Frantzby way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <LFrantz@compuserve.com>
Subject: Why the Neico filter will not work on the 320/360 hydraulics
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:58:23 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe that the single Neico inline filter will not work on the 320/360
because we have a hydraulic system where the fluids flow in both
directions.  The pump motor runs in one direction for gear down and the
other for gear up.  The IV's work differently and therefore a single inline
filter suits them just  fine.  The best thing the 320/360s  have going is
the hydraulic sump and if you look on the bottom you will probably see
metal debris from your pump that would otherwise have been trapped by a
filter.  These pumps are similar to the pumps that run your boat 's I/O up
and down, Piper and Lake retractables etc. and seem to last a long time
provided they are operated intermittantly as intended.  My Lake hydraulic
pump motor (same brand) has operated since 1977 with no maintenance at all.

According to the SDR's which we track in the Lancair Network News, the
hydraulic problems seem to be limited to bad or poorly calibrated pressure
limit switches, electro mechanical relay failures, bent hydraulic cylinder
rods (old units) and small leaks at the hydraulic cylinders.

And keep those SDR's comming to Jim@Lancair.net.  Copies of the old SDR's
are made available to all at www.Lancair.net or on Marv's site.  Without
your input there would be no history or trends and we would all be
reinventing the wheel which is expensive.

Jim
Lancair Network News