From: Jeffery Peterson <jbp@fire.phys.cmu.edu>
Subject: LOP
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: Lancair mail list <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

George Braly:

Could you send marvin plots of the data you show visitors?

That would really help me understand.

You could simply scan them or take digital photos.

If you fax or mail or fedex plots to me I will turn them into an
electronic form, and I will attempt to write captions for the plots that
point out important features.

I am bulding an LNC2 non-turbo, (IO-360A1A) and am toying with the idea of
tuning the exhaust and perhaps the intake system.

Following a set of articles in 1986 sport aviation, i am planning about 50
inches of 1.75 inch exhaust tube, then 4 into 1, then 25 inches of 2.75
inch tailpipe. no muffler.

To make space for that I would get rid of the oil pan, instead using a 1
inch plate to collect oil into a reservior on the firewall.

That would also give me cold intake air. That alone should give 10% in HP
at cruise altitudes. Tuned exhaust might be worth 10% as well.

What I really like about this system is the increase in performance at low
altitude. Also, it has no moving parts, and no turbo shock cooling
worries.

I have not yet thought through the design of the tuned intake. If i have
space I may add that as well.

I find myself still confused about the proper way to adjust mixture in my
case.  Basically its pretty simple I guess, since without the turbo i
dont have much risk of detonation except on climbout, right.

But, is that right? Tuned exhaust (scavenging) and tuned induction
act to increase the air/fuel charge for each power stroke.

What really confuses me is that the standard accepted non-turbo climbout
settings (full throttle, rich mixture) seem to risk detonation.  Is it
that full rich is SO rich at this mixture setting that burn speeds and
peak temps are low? would that still be true if my exhaust and intake
system increase the amount of air (but not fuel) in the cylinder at the
start of the compression stroke?

Thanks for all the help your are giving to the lancair community.

Jeff Peterson
LNC2 80%

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair