From: Fred Moreno <Fmoreno@direcpc.com>
Subject: Lancair IV baggage door
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:43:07 -0700
To: Lancair list <Lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

washer arrangement for the baggage door as flimsy and trouble prone.
I  built a configuration using one of John
Barrett's carbinge carbon hinges instead, and added a lever to the top
of the door pushed by a small gas spring available from MacMaster Carr
to push the door open when it is released.

 I also dispensed with the
locks and installed retracting pins that keep the door closed, and are
configured to permit the door to be pushed closed like the trunk of your
car.  The pins are actuated by a push button on the main door sill so
the baggage door can not be opened while the cabin door is shut.  (I
stole this idea from the Lancair IV "Mistress" that was exhibited in
front
of the Lancair tent as OSH last year.) If folks are interested,
I can make up some sketches you can use as the basis for your own
design.

Fred Moreno

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair