From: Brent Regan <Brent@regandesigns.com>
Subject: Re: Peltier Modules
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:05:33 -0600
To: Lancair List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dan:

I appreciate your engineers skepticism. This is definitely and "outside the
box" idea. Your calculations are right except for your assumptions on total
series resistance. You would size the system to to the alternator (100 amp
at 28 volt) OR you could regulate the alternator up to 56 volts and run 50
amps (you could use a B&C 60 amp, lightweight alternator). The Peltier
modules would be connected in series and parallel to get the voltage right.
Standby power would come from either a switch that would also regulate the
alternator to 14 volts or a DC-DC converter.

Even at 100 amps the wire size would be #2, 40 feet of which would weigh 8
pounds and would have a resistance of .0078 ohms (.156 ohms per 1000 feet),
causing a voltage drop of 0.78 volts and adding <78 watts of heat to the
cabin.

A 50 amp system would require #6 wire (about 3 pounds and 1.5 volt drop).

The wires are still lighter and smaller than the hoses for the freon. The
alternator is smaller and lighter than a freon pump. The evaporator, ducting
and circulating fan are a push for the modules, ducting and fans. There is
no condenser, no freon to leak, no receiver dryer or expansion valve. The
Peltier system would not require a high current switch (unless you wanted to
use it as a heater too) as power could be regulated from the field winding
of the alternator.

It is a viable system. It's performance per pound would be comparable to the
freon system, it is a simpler system to install and maintain and has the
added benefits of standby power and cabin heat.

Regards,
Brent Regan

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair