From: Scott & Paula Dahlgren <spdahlgren@home.com>
Subject: scales and balances
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:09:56 -0700
To: ___Lancair list <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At work we use lots of scales and balances for manufacturing. We have
purchased just about every brand out there for work, and you might be
surprised to find that most off brands just don't work or work for only a
short time before they start to wander. this could be fatal with your
project. I have scraped much more money on parts than we ever spent in cheap
balances, and we never worked on anything as big as a lancair. I have time
after time poured and poured into a cheap scale without it changing only to
see it jump. cross checking it with our lab balances often showed a 10+ fold
error. I have a shelf of cheap scales that supposedly work that we have
scraped over the years. they are bad economy.

I would stick to the major brands NOT MADE IN CHINA. many major brands such
as ohaus, Toledo ect sell the ~$100 scales which are all made by a Chinese
company with a US label. they break, or just don't work.

there are some good ones out there that are reasonably priced such as
sartorius (which always work), tanita and A&D. If you opt to go with a
balance, which I think is great, spend your money upfront and get one you
can bank on, since you will. I found this company
http://www.balances.com/special.html which sells the sartorius 310 x .01
gram for $359 on sale (a sure bet) or the tanita 1212 (.1 gram) for $160.
my 2 cents.

Scott

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair