From: Bill Maddox <billmaddox@speedbrakes.com>
Subject: premature discoloring or hardner
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 02:00:25 -0800
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is coincidental that this subject came up for I haven't been building
on my plane as I should and I let out my brand new pump to another builder 4
months ago and thought it might be a good time the overhaul the old pump I
still own . I called Michael Eng. and found that just that day their was a
new owner and that I needed the parts that wouldn't coke the hardener and
they said the parts I ordered would arrive soon  . I put the new parts on
the old hand pump - new o rings ,two container cups . washers and spacers
and the new style check valve for the hardener cup. I let the hardener set
in the pump for 4 days and it all turned dark . I called the new owner and
said that I now have 4 different check valves that turn the hardener dark
and the last was the new style that didn't have the coatings on it.
      His first thing was that the pump was cheep and couldn't afford to put
money into the pump.  I said that all we need was a reed valve out of
plastic and you might save yourself some money as well . There was a moment
on the phone where he was thinking about what I said and I'm now the guinea
pig for the new valve when or if it will come about according to him that
day.  All this conversation was about two months ago and Still hadn't heard
from him . I know what really needs to happen is push hardener faster
through the pump and nothing will discolor.  I worked hard on my plane for 4
years and last year I had a death in the family and I stopped building to
try to get thing together. Everyone has times where they can't just keep
pushing resin . I have been on the phone with both jaffco [ Ed ] and the
pump people several years ago . I'm now the owner of 4 different check
valves and non have worked correctly .   I would like all that want a good
check valve call the owner at Michael Eng.. and remind him to do what he
said he would do and the problem will be fixed for all us slow builders  at
present.

Bill Maddox

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair