From: <VTAILJEFF@aol.com>
Subject: Re: FADEC
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:31:49 EST
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The FADEC is still some months away. I just ordered an IO-550 from Lancair
and spe'd that I wanted FADEC. The engine will come set up to receive FADEC--
ie. the camshaft is drilled. But the FADEC components are not yet shipping.
Now Continental has broken down the  FADEC into three separate kits with the
major kit priced at $8,000 and two other installation kits (wiring harness,
display, etc) priced separately.

A big kicker is if you order directly from Continental/ Aerosance your order
form includes a liablity waiver that caps their liability to the price of the
FADEC. In other words-- if the FADEC craps out and takes your engine south or
worse yets causes an engine failure that ultimately cost you the airplane or
your life, all Continental is on the hook for is the FADEC price. This form
of extortion has been upheld in many states. You may want to purchase your
FADEC through a third party so that your name is not on the sales contract
with Continental. I am having an attorney review this to see what  I may do
to get around this problem.

Jeff Edwards

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair