From: Skip Slater <skipslater@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Safety wiring will pants
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:38:02 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
When we built up my ES wheel pants, we bonded a large metal washer to the outside of the bolt holes, then put filler on the sides to blend it in and a couple of BID over it.  The idea was to prevent stress from cracking the fiberglass by creating a hard point and spreading the load.  It doesn't protect the paint - I put a flat washer under the bolt to do that.  I've also lost bolts and spacers twice, even though I preflight exactly the same way Gary described; by wiggling the back end of the pant to check for tightness on each walkaround.  Even though I now put Locktite on the ends of the threads, that bolt will still back it's way out over time.  I just found one loose the last time I went flying a couple of days ago and it took about a turn and a half to get the bolt tight again.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably figure out a way to secure the bolt because it's been a persistent issue.

Skip Slater