From: Carl La Rue <carl.larue@live.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: UV & IR Filtering Film on Acrylic Windows
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:10:58 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Valin,

Some 13-14 years ago I heard about a new, expensive gold film that could be applied to aircraft windows to cut down on internal heat.  The only place that I could find to get it installed was at Van Nuys, CA so I flew out from OH to have it done.  It cost me about $1700, as I remember.  The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to reduce the interior heat by ten degrees or so.  Noticeable, anyway, to  my wife and me.  The second noticeable effect was that my vision through it was improved in hazy conditions.  That was/is easy to discern because, not quite trusting the product to have it installed directly in my line of vision (the runway environment) I had it cut in a wide arc in front of me, leaving a 6-8 inch band above and to the sides of the windshield,  and that lets me compare viz through it or not.

It has been very durable but, of course, I’m careful with it.  I would install it again.  If you are interested in it let me know and I’ll research my records for you.

Carl La Rue

2200 hours on LIV-P N299KT

.