From: Bill Harrelson <n5zq@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: pitot and static system water traps
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:14:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Rob,

I put two of these static traps in the IV. Even though the airplane has flown through heavy rain and spent a few nights outside in hard blowing rain, I ain’t never seen nuthin in ‘em.  I believe that if your lines exit the static ports upward for several inches you’ll decrease the possibility of water accumulation by a great deal.

In the 320 I put no traps, just exited the ports upward and never had any water in 2300 hrs. If you are going to use a trap, I’m sure that anything you can come up with will work as well as the commercial trap. If you do use a trap, put it as close to the static port as practical. The amount of water you will catch, if any, will be measured by the milliliter, not by the gallon.

Most commercial pitot tubes have a built in drain so it should not be necessary in the pitot system.

Bill Harrelson
N6ZQ IV  575 hrs