From: William Rumburg <lancair403@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: VMS1000 pressure gauges on LNC2
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:43:52 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Nick -

The VMS1000 oil and fuel pressures were designed for the Honeywell MediaMate, which produces 50mV DC full-scale output when excited with 5VDC. The MediaMate, however, is inferior, antiquated technology and outrageously overpriced.
A modern, high-quality replacement is the Measurement Specialties US321. It also produces 50mV DC when excited with 5VDC; hence, it's an electrically-DIRECT replacement for the MediaMate http://www.meas-spec.com/downloads/US300.pdf
A problem, however, is that the VMS1000's combination of 5VDC excitation and 50mV DC full-scale output is, apparently, rarely used in industry; hence, I couldn't locate any US321's -in the needed pressure range- for sale despite an exhaustive search. I contacted Measurement Specialties last August and learned that they would manufacture them at a cost of $140 each, with a minimum order of five. So I ordered five @50 psi (fuel pressure for fuel-injected engines) and five @100 psi (oil pressure). I ordered them with four foot pigtails to allow direct routing to the DPU, with no intermediate connector. Attached is a photo of them installed on my engine. If anyone is interested, I'm offering the extra's for my price of $140 each.

Bill Rumburg
N403WR  (Sonic bOOm)
Hello Everyone,

A few weeks ago we had a discussion about this, and I then went away and checked my installation. After measuring the voltages I concluded that the display unit is ok, but both the Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure sensors are not behaving.

So then I looked into replacements. There was an interesting post last September from Bill Rumburg about using sensors from Measurement Specialities; the originals are Honeywell Mediamates.

Bill was saying the OP and FP transducers are different in their voltage vs pressure response by a factor of 2 and he was exploring some alternative devices. But here is another idea. Why not just find a sensor that gives the correct output for FP? The same sensor will give 2x the reading if used for OP, but that can be scaled down by 2 with a simple precision resistor network.

If that is correct, and I’ve followed the previous discussion correctly, then Digi Key have the very item we need:

What do you think, people?

Yours,

Nick

Attachment