From: Steve Colwell <mcmess1919@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Formation Flying
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:24:13 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

We also brief at what exit to use on the runway, it is an exit waaay down near the end, if not THE end.  First planes down land a bit long, and keep their speed up (within reason) to leave room behind for the others.

Years ago, two guys I knew decided (on the way to a Fly-In) to make a formation fly over, pattern and landing.  The lead took the first turn off with no notice.  Yup, #2 clipped his tail before he could slow down enough.  Then came the icing on the cake.  The lead went straight to the temporary FAA tower to report the hit to the feds.  The damage was minor but the lead lost a lot of friends that day.

Steve Colwell