From: Dennis Johnson <pinetownd@volcano.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Legacy in Formation Flying
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:04:16 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I fly formation in my IO-550 every week or two wit an airplane with an
IO-360.  It took a few flights to develop standard procedures and
airspeeds and now it works great.

However, formation flying is not something we should teach ourselves.  I
learned formation flying in the Air Force and my personal rule is that I
don't fly formation with pilots who haven't received proper.  This was
after I talked with a pilot who was flying number three in a three ship
and collided with number two.  They both survived, with one airplane
landing in a farmer's pasture.  The thing that scared me was that he
blamed number two for turning too tight in a pitchout.  Anyone who has
been properly trained knows that one of a wingman's basic
responsibilities is to avoid hitting the airplane in front of him.

There are ways to get good formation training and I suggest you start
there.  There is a lot more to it than just stick and rudder skills.

Regarding flying final at less than 100 knots, 90 knots should work if
you are comfortable with it and can control you airspeed reasonably
precisely.

For flying behind another airplane, I assume you mean on final approach
after a pitchout.  Part of developing procedures for flying formation
with dissimilar airplanes is figuring out the proper spacing between
airplanes for landing.  Figure that stuff out at altitude.  Don't do it
close to the ground for the first time.

My advice is don't do it until you've been trained and then only fly
formation with other pilots who have also received adequate training.

Just back from the Continental clinic, which was great!

Dennis
Legacy, 700 hours