From: ED MARTIN <edmartintx@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Continental Engine Maintenance Course
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:01:25 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I've stopped at Fairhope several times in the past but if you get the dates for 2015, please post them to me.  Thanks.  Ed

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Douglas Brunner <douglasbrunner@earthlink.net> wrote:

I would love to go to this course next year.

However, I have to pick my days off/vacation for 2015 by September of 2014.  Any chance you could dates for next year ready by then?

D. Brunner

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:13 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Continental Engine Maintenance Course

Rarely in aviation do we come across something that we would consider a great deal.   If you could not attend the Continental Engine Course in Fairhope, Alabama, you really missed a great deal, not to mention a great experience.   This will be offered again next year and I encourage you to take advantage of it.

I can't adequately cover the topics here, but if you are person like me that learns more from seeing something than just reading or hearing about it, this might be the course for you.  The operations of systems were reviewed, the physical parts were available to look at in the disassembled state,   and intermingled with this were photos of failures and what caused them.    We got a tour of the factory and got to see the various stages of fabrication, assembly and testing of our engine parts.

Continental demonstrated  the fuel system set-up on a Lancair IVP and part of the setup on Lancair Legacy (until they identified an issue with the fuel pump).  They demonstrated engine timing, engine compression testing, and boroscopic inspection.

They showed us how to access information on line and really went out of their way to make sure our questions were answered.

In the end, they invited us back and challenged us to bring more people next time.  You could not possibly ask for more gracious hosts.   Many thanks to Bob Pastusek and LOBO for setting this up and to Continental for really making it a valuable experience.   And of course thanks to all the people who attended.  Its always fun to talk to others who share your same passion for these airplanes.