From: George Wehrung <gw5@me.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Legacy in Formation Flying
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:01:13 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Ed,

Wake turbulence is no joke.  The AirForce just lost an MC-12 (King Air 350) after trying to land behind a C-17 in Bagram AFB, Afghanistan.  The King Air was found pancaked in about a mile from the runway and facing 180 out from the landing direction.  No survivors.

I will attach this common sense FAA AC that you may or may not have read.

As far as mixed formation.  Don’t recommend it unless carefully briefed and all players are experienced/current formation flyers.  In the Navy even with experienced guys on both aircraft, near disasters have been more common that not.  Typical Jets looking at King Air and T-34C gear status and the reverse have occurred.

On Mar 24, 2014, at 6:46 AM, ED MARTIN <edmartintx@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings Lancair Legacy Flyers,

         Recently, I have flown formation with a gaggle of aircraft (non-Lancair) that have some differences in performance.   I would like to hear from Lancair Legacy pilots that have experience in formation flying.   Specifically, what are your opinions, experiences and recommendations regarding mixed formation flying??   And the same question regarding approaches at LESS than 100 KIAS on final approach??   Especially behind another aircraft that generates a known significant wake turbulence??     There are many Legacy pilots that have experience in formation flying with similar and dissimilar aircraft types.  Please share your advice and experience.  Thank you all.

Regards, Ed Martin
N767EM