From: Jeff Edwards <vtailjeff@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: 55x Lnc2
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:08:39 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Tru track makes more powerful servos.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 20, 2014, at 6:53 AM, Todd Long <toddlong1@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The 55x was in my IV-P. Pulled it for a TruTrak. The 55X didn't play nice with the AFS I have installed. Trutrak works ok but I think needs the stronger roll servo. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the whole hing to Garmin only. Just waiting to see what direction they go with the G3X system. Last year they added a bunch of functionality.
My friend has a 320 that has an STec 30. Roll only. So thought it might be a use for it and upgrade his a little. He has no glass problems to deal with for integration. 55X isn't worth very much on the market. 14v

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2014, at 14:05, Tom <n20087@yahoo.com> wrote:

Todd

I recently had a 55x and replaced it with the Garmin g3x. I found it to be an excellent en route autopilot but there were some issues that frustrated me terribly that forced my decision to move to a modern digital system.  I found at certain frequencies the pitch servo would be disturbed when keying my mic. Others on lml have experienced this also.   I shielded the hell out of the servo and made sure my power and signal grounds on the aircraft were perfect but I still could not keep rf out of the damn thing.  In addition, I could not get sufficient roll rate for intercepting an ils for instance.

I am an electronics engineer by training  and am pretty handy with a soldering iron.  S-TEC were reasonably helpful in directing me to the right components to change out on the computer boards to better match the system to the lnc2 flight dynamics but I was never fully satisfied with the results.  Pitch control was good but as pointed out earlier, roll left something to be desired.

I have also owned a certified aircraft (Tobago) with the s-TEC 30 and found it to be very reliable with no gain/control issues. Be sure to order the GPSS module

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Clark Baker <bakercdb@gmail.com> wrote:

Todd,
I'm far from an expert, but I had in my LNC2 360 (chronological order):
-wing leveler (I forget the brand)
-50X (not a typo- interesting story- only a few of these made it out into the field)
-55X
-TT Digiflight 2

The Trutrak was the standout performer in pitch (and roll). Not even close.  I never had the S-Tec 30, but  likely you would be disappointed in the amount of improvement in pitch.

Regards,
Clark

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Todd Long <toddlong1@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have a 55x in their lnc2. If so how does it perform? Especially in pitch. Thinking of upgrading a 30 to a 55x.

Sent from my iPhone
--
For archives and unsub http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/List.html