From: Valin & Allyson Thorn <thorn@starflight.aero>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Legacy Accident History Update
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:20:00 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Let me add some important thoughts on this subject I should have included...

Providing this Legacy accident and incident summary to the LML is in no way intended to embarrass anyone and I’m very sorry if it has.  The intent is to help us all see where there may be particular risks unique to flying the Legacy or showing up within the community of pilots that fly Legacy’s.

My view, and I expect most pilot’s views are similar, is that operating flying machines, with each one’s unique personality and in ever changing environments (weather, location, terrain, lighting, etc.), is challenging and working to do it very well is part of the satisfaction of flying.  Inherent in that challenge is that in spite of our best efforts we all make mistakes while flying – mostly small and inconsequential but sometimes more significant ones.  None of us are perfect.

Everyone not on the accident/incident list likely believes that this is the result of their good aeronautical knowledge, skills, and decision making -- but also knows that if on that one landing they’d had a slightly higher gust of wind or a bit more distraction at a critical high workload time, they might be on there too…

Sadly, I know of more than one case where pilots in our community have ostracized themselves from the community after a flying incident.  Let’s be sure to express our understanding and sympathy when others are faced with these difficulties knowing that we’ll all be better off for it and someday we may need that same support, too.

Kind regards,

Valin Thorn