From: Justin Hawkins <justinh@lancair.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: FW: IO550 Air Induction
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:15:20 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Can you please post to LML, thank you

Good day Lancair customers,
There has been a lot of talk about the IO550 Air Induction kit with the supplied K&N Filter. Just wanted to help clear the air and maybe answer a few questions. We designed a few different styles of air induction systems and test flew them all on our company Legacy N199L. I was a part of this testing and the Air Induction system that Lancair now sells was the best application for the IO550N engines. The kit design gives you the safety and reliability of a K&N 330 CFM filter with a Ram Air that allows 100% air flow for optimal performance. The K&N filter is a 3 inch ID that is matched up with a 3 inch OD tube for a sealed fit, just put a little grease or oil on the filter ring and install the filter on the induction tube then tighten the hose clamp. We have not herd of any issues with the kit and it has performed with out issue in all conditions if it would be racing at Reno or an everyday flight. I just looked at my Log's and two of our company aircraft has had the same filter on it since July 2007. I do clean the filter at every 100hr inspection or annually. We use the K&N recommended cleaning agent and follow their instructions. Please note if you start to see any damage to your filter you should replace it right away, it's not worth the risk of contamination to the Cylinders, any questions please contact us.
Thank you for your time,

Justin Hawkins
Lancair International
250 SE Timber Ave