From: Matt Hapgood <mehapgood@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: LNC2 airfilters
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:04:59 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
What happens to any “stuff” (pebbles, dirt, etc) that is kicked up by the prop and sitting in the intake hole when you go from filtered (blocking the dirt) to unfiltered?  What keeps it from now getting sucked in?

Matt

From: Christian Meier <lancair@meier.cc>
Date: Friday, January 17, 2014 at 1:17 AM
To: Lancair List <lml@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: LNC2 airfilters

George,

I'm using a Rod Bower Filter since 120h now. The systems works very well.
I used to start with an older design and upgraded to a bigger flapper valve and
bigger holes for filtered air intake. The pictures are made before the upgrade.
I actually use a Lycoming IO-390. The aluminum intake ring in the cowling is also
available from Rod.
The difference from filtered to ram air is about 1.2" in cruise and you really feel
a difference when you open the valve.
There is some very fine dirt sticking on the inside of the fuel meter intake from the
unfiltered ramair use. But I don't think this will harm the engine...
When the valve is closed the engine will get warm filtered air from inside the cowling.
As soon as I'm airborn I open the ramair valve.
I'm happy with the system!

Christian