From: Jeremy F Fisher <exhibs@mindspring.com>
Subject: 320/360 Fuel Leak
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:30:17 -0400
To: Lancair List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can anyone help with advice on a leak that I found in my 360 wing tank when
I tested it with air after closure?  I have a persistent leak, that I
finally found by submerging the wing in a swimming pool and applying air
pressure through a hand pump.  Air came from behind the bolts holding the
aileron bellcrank to the rib.  I have the extended fuel tanks, so had fitted
a foam block over the bellcrank nuts in the outer wing cavity, covered it
with a 3 bid cover, and fuel proofed it prior to closure.  It appears that
this cover is damaged and leaking.

I cannot use the usual technique of applying a vacuum to suck sealer into
the leak, since it would clog the bolt threads, and would not necessarily
get to the leak in the cover.  Just stopping fuel from coming through the
bolt holes will not stop it getting into the wing structure behind the
cover.  The only way that I can see is to cut a 6" hole in the wing skin,
repair the leak and then repair the hole I have cut.  Has anyone else had to
deal with this problem, and if so, how?  If I cut the hole, how do I ensure
that the repair is fuel proof and strong enough for structural integrity?
Is it better to cut the hole through the top or the bottom skin?

Any help would be appreciated.  This must be the worst place to get a fuel
leak in the wing!

Jerry Fisher

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair