From: Dennis Johnson <pinetownd@volcano.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: 'Glass cockpit'
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:25:19 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I don't believe receiving OM/MM/IM marker beacons on an ILS approach is required to fly that approach because you can locate all required positions using other means.  As evidence that this is correct, note that minimums are not raised when a marker beacon is NOTAMed out of service.  It appears that the FAA is phasing out marker beacons anyway.

To answer your specific question about what information is displayed on a screen, I have a Chelton system.  Although it has the ability to display marker beacon lights on the "attitude indicator" screen, nothing would show on the moving map screen.  It's irrelevant in my case because my marker beacon receiver is not compatible with the Chelton.  All required places along the ILS course are displayed on the Chelton as waypoints, independent of any marker beacons that might be there.

Dennis
Legacy, 680 hours

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greenbacks, UnLtd." <N4ZQ@VERIZON.NET>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 5:11 AM
Subject: [LML] Re: 'Glass cockpit'

A question for the glass guys here.
If you are executing an ILS approach, do I assume correctly that the OM/MM/IM are displayed as waypoints on the screen?
If so, is a marker beacon receiver redundant/no longer required?

Angier Ames
N4ZQ
--
For archives and unsub http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/List.html