From: David Weinsweig <weinsweigd@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: You put WHAT in my tanks?!?!
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:42:59 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
After a wonderful long w/e in Miami, I went to the counter of Fountainbleu aviation at kopf to pay my bill. I noticed that they charged me for Avgas, not Jet A.  After asking and confirming that my request for Jet A was in the computer, there was silence, then a whisper into the radio that the line manager and ultimately the overall fbo manager was needed quickly at the counter. After 10 minutes of checking, they confirmed their mistake. First time in the 4 years he'd been there. I usually watch as my plane is refueled but sometimes not -particularly in a large reputable busy Bizet fbo. I had been there twice before with great service. The manager was quite apologetic and offered to have a mechanic drain my fuel.  I called John Cook who confirmed my recollection that the Walter engine can run on Avgas for a limited number of hours which I believe is up to 50. John mentioned up to 1% of tbo time but suggested that it be diluted with as much Jet A as possible for lubrication purposes.  Fortunately I had only asked for 10 gallons/wing so after topping with Jet A(it took 37 gallons more), only 20 of 146 usable was AvGas. Needless to say, they didn't charge me for anything. I then flew away without incident-rather perturbed but apparently no actual harm done. If it had been jet A into a piston----disaster.

Anyways, be careful of the seemingly knowledgable linemen!  No one cares about our planes like we do.

David Weinsweig
N750DW Propjet
318 hours

Sent from my iPad