From: John Barrett <2thman1@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Hot TITs on X country leg. LIVP
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:36:18 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Time to fess up.  The failure mode turned out to be a failed electronic ignition system.  I run one Plasma III lightspeed and one mag.  The lightspeed quit and I didn't recognize it.  It had to have happened during climb out or at level off.  The run up prior to take off was entirely normal.

The hot TIT's and EGT's were the result of incomplete fuel burn by the mag that was the only ignition still running.   Fuel in the exhaust stacks burns in the turbines and heats everything up real fast.  I don't understand why leaning made it worse though.  Can anyone explain that?

Lest anyone jump on Klaus, let me be quick to admit it was not a failure of his system but rather  an installation defect.   As a matter of fact he  got on the phone with me on a weekend day and helped trouble shoot it.  He overnighted a loaner to me when I didn't have enough tools or access to do adequate system checks and did not laugh at me too badly when the loaner did not fix the problem.  A check of the ground for the power circuit showed about 2 Kohms resistance.  The fix was to wire in another ground.

Best regards,
John Barrett
N31VP

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 18, 2013, at 8:50 PM, Greg Milnar <greg456pw@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello John,

I am sorry that I missed out on the LOBO fly in discussion of your event.
I have been watching the thread for the answer but I must have missed it if the question was answered.  Please let me know what you learned.

I have a question about the new dimension of the rub rail material past its retaining bracket on the main gear doors.  I put the quire out to LML but did not receive any responses.

Thanks,

Greg Milnar

651 738 3117