From: Gary Casey <casey.gary@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Yaw
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:56:13 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I certainly concur with the comments below.  I installed them on my ES after doing an A/B test.  They increased the "feet-off-the-rudder-pedal" stability by about 30%.  I measured a drop in cruise speed of about 2 knots.  Painful, but I'm still glad I did it.  There seemed to be no difference in low speed pitch trim.  And I agree that the alignment of the strakes with the local airflow could be better.  If I were doing it again I would carefully evaluate the local airflow, probably with oil drops, and take a wedge-shaped slice out between the strakes, most likely toeing them out by maybe 5 degrees.  That said, I have evaluated the airflow with oil (eventually the engine blowby oil will reach the strakes) and I don't see any real problem.  Maybe I'm imagining a problem when there isn't one.  I was told by someone (professional test pilot) who has flown all types of Lancairs that on a IVPT they are "absolutely required," on a IV they are "essential" and on an ES they are "nice."  FWIW
Gary Casey

Bill,

did you have the opportunity to do a before/after speed test relative to =
those strakes?
I can vouch that they are very effective at improving yaw stability.  =
However if you look at them on the airplane one wonders if they are =
lined up with the airflow at that point on the fuselage.

Colyn

On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:16 PM, William A. Hogarty wrote:

Hello Dico:
=20
As I recall, I ordered the strakes directly from Mike Custard about 10 =
years ago.  They were the cheapest option I had ever purchased for my =
plane (less than $ 300) and also the easiest to install.
=20
I had just started the painting process on my plane, when I heard about =
the strakes, so I stopped painting and waited for the strakes to arrive. =
As I recall, it took about 2 days to install, start to paint.
=20
I have some photos of the installation process, if you would like to see =
them.  I don't have Mikes
address or contact info, but Im sure the folks at lancair might.  As you =
can tell, I am a real advocate
of his product.
=20
Keep up the photography.