From: Kyrilian Dyer <kyrilian_av@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: GoPro
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:15:13 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Angier,

Which version do you have?  I have no experience with the very latest (Hero 3+), but here's what I've observed with Hero3 (Silver and Black):

Certain high bitrate modes cannot be previewed while recording (though I've not found any that won't preview when not recording).  This includes whenever Protune is turned on, and 2.7k and 4k (on the Black) when Protune is off.
Protune consumes more memory (and battery life), but is good if you have dark and light areas.  For instance, if you want to record in the cockpit and see both the panel and the view outside I've found Protune to improve dynamic range.  It won't work perfectly but has given me better results in that case than with Protune OFF.

Another tool is Spot mode.  This changes whether to perform light metering on the whole image or just the center of the image.  Spot mode OFF is probably more useful, but if you're fighting with an over- or under-exposed video you can use the spot mode.  For instance, if you're shooting from inside the cockpit you'll probably care either more about the inside or more about the outside.  Just set spot mode ON and aim at whichever you prefer.  If you want to see the panel (and you're okay with a slightly overexposed outside view) then aim at the panel.  If you want to optimize the view outside (and are okay with the panel being a bit dark) then aim so the center of the image points outside.  Like I said above, if you want both you may be disappointed, though Protune may help.

The higher the bitrates (higher definition, higher framerates, Protune on, etc) will result in shorter battery life.  If you want it to last a long time run 720 or 1080p at 30fps with Protune OFF (or get a battery backpac to double the life).  I've found 60fps helps with the vibration, though a solid mount is a must.  Also consider if you want to edit the videos later.  The higher settings will create large files that can take a long time to post process.

BTW, I had trouble with the SandDisk microSD cards at the higher bitrates.  It would stop recording because the card couldn't keep up.  The newer firmware for the GoPro actually checks what card you use and throttles back the bitrate now so it shouldn't be a problem.  But if you want the full bitrate look into which microSD cards are fully supported by GoPro.  SanDisk used to be their go-to provider but I think GoPro has gone away from them now.

Good luck!

- Kyrilian