From: Chris Zavatson <chris_zavatson@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fw: [LML] Re: Lancair 320/360 performance and stability
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:56:55 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Steve,
For small deflections you can use: sin(3 deg) * (flap chord)
My flap chord at the root is 10.75", so 0.56"  - Another option is a digital level.

The faired-in position is pretty accurate at -7 degrees.  When I calibrated my flap position transducer, I had to make a full size template to locate 0 degrees.  The fuselage fairing ended up right at -7.0, so it is a good reference.

When measuring speeds greater that 120 KIAS, I recorded each point for at least three minutes. I found that it took about 2 minutes to reach a truly stabilized speed after a power or flap setting change.   The speed decay is so slow it isn't really detectable by starring at the airspeed indicator.  Imagine trying to see average needle movement of 1kt/min.  Fortunately the two minute settling time is very consistent.

I think it would be quite valuable and educational to repeat the same series to of tests on a small tail 320/360.  I would be more than happy to go over all the details with anyone interested in volunteering.  I think the biggest hurdle is mounting the alpha/beta probe.  I was able to grab onto the mounting provisions for my wingtip lens with a fiberglass 'lens' to mount the probe.  The internal transducers are relatively simple.

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std