From: John Smith <john@jjts.net.au>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Legacy Starter/Starter Adapter failed
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:09:49 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Hi All,

Well – its happened -  the dreaded starter adapter failure at ~90hrs TTIS!!

The engine was delivered late 2008 and and was first used in flight late 2010 – so I'm well out of warranty time period.  Anyways, beyond a few hints a few hours prior, almost continuous slipping started almost overnight – very difficult to get a start, and nearly got stuck a little way from home.

I did end up installing the Skytec at about 70hours. It ran the starts like a trooper, until…..  The ST3 seems to test fine according to Skytec recommended checks. As I still have the the old Iskra starter, I'm thinking of installing this just to make absolutely certain that it is the adapter, and not the starter motor – but its a very long shot as I think the ST3 is, not surprisingly, absolutely fine.

For what its worth, I can turn the starter adapter shaft quite easily both ways, but may be only a quarter of a turn or so before sensing a "spring resistance" feel and, if one lets go of the shaft, it just "springs back" - same in both directions of rotation.  I'll be talking to engine engineers on Monday, but does this all sound like a failed adapter?

My main question now – has anyone had any experience of replacing the starter adapter on the IO-550 in a Legacy? Can it be done by lifting the engine off the engine mount and moving it forwards a few inches? If this is possible then it might come down to "just" disconnecting governor and throttle cables (may be mixture), remove a few cable ties to wiring and P-clamps on fuel lines, and unbolt the rear exhaust hangers? Make sense, or is it really a case of engine right out?

As it happens, the left hand side upper rear facing stud is really very long, and it doesn't seem possible to pull the adapter off this stud without moving the engine forward (BTW - this stud has been installed with two spacers setting the nut about 7/16 – 1/2" off the adapter housing itself – it is a TCM reman engine – doesn't seem right to me, but may be there's good reason?)

Would be very grateful any tips and suggestions…. Thanks!

Regards,

John

John N G Smith
Tel / fax:    +61-8-9385-8891
Mobile:      +61-409-372-975
Email:         john@jjts.net.au

From: "pete@leapfrogventures.com" <pete@leapfrogventures.com>
Date: Tuesday, 5 June 2012 2:46 AM
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: Legacy Starter/Starter Adapter

I would definitely go with the ST3 over the ST5.  I did and am very happy with it.

As for the adapter, if you only have 50 hours, I would just replace the starter and wait.  If the adapter fails later, fix it then.  As they say, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.  I guess the risk is you might get stranded somewhere, but, as I recall when the adapter in my former Cirrus started to slip, I could still start it once before it gave up the ghost.

Pete