From: Charles Brown <browncc1@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Fuel vol correction
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 12:41:00 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
OK, thanks Bill B, John B, and Bob P for inputs.  Bill's info below is interesting in that it confirms that 37 may be a good number if things are working right.  I did not sump the tank prior to filling, because I assumed I'd put in 37 gallons -- but I may try that next time.  However, it won't prove much, will it?  There *should* be *some* fuel left at the sumps, regardless; that's where the unusable fuel hangs out, right?

I am the builder, I have photos proving (as I checked at the time) all the little half-circle cutouts in the spar were present and not blocked by ProSeal; the geometry of the rib caps makes it extremely unlikely that Hysol could have blocked the cutouts at wing closing and at any rate, I measured the 37gal volume long after the wings were closed.  I can still hear the gate valves slapping whenever I rock the airplane on the ground with partial fuel, so they're working; and there's no venting issue.  I slipped the plane in flight to get the last of the fuel, but maybe not long enough?  Once the engine sputters, it could take many seconds to re-establish flow?  Hmmmm.....

Of course it's possible that some blockage has occurred, I can check that out with a borescope, sounds like fun.  Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I figure it out.  Good ideas in Bob's article.

CB

On Jul 19, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Bill Bradburry wrote:

Charley,
Did you sump the tank prior to refilling it to ensure that it was truly
empty?  You may be looking at 3 gallons un-usable.  The Legacy wings have
little dihedral and there is a lot of sloshing.  You may have unported the
fuel outlet finger strainer and made you think the tank was empty.

When I calibrated the fuel gage on my Legacy with speed brake wells, both
tanks were 36 gallons filled to the bottom of the fuel inlet.  37 gallons
makes sense if you don't have the speed brake wells.

B2