From: Paul Miller <pjdmiller@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fwd: looking for the meta-message in controller speak
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:46:29 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I wrote earlier how controllers have been super helpful providing wx advice for flights in the last number of years.  Last Sunday I brought the Legacy, my wife and two mutts from Calgary 2100nm to Florida via Minot and Kennett(MO).   I was VFR the entire way but my G696 portable was not with me so I had no WX onboard.  On the final leg, the usual buildups were growing and the horizon was grey to black and there was no obvious path.  I was at 5500 and could not top anything.

I queried Atlanta center and Atlanta approach.  At the point I marked on the attachment, I simply asked what they saw on my route.  I got back "moderate to severe across your horizon, cleared to deviate left".  I repeated "left?".  He replied "left".   Sometimes, the message is just that clear.   Blue sky appeared to the east and we had an uneventful, un-wet, un-bumpy flight all the way in.   I've been really impressed how much assistance is now given despite busy IFR loads.  I've had nothing but excellent and pro-active help from JAX and ATL and especially various approach controllers in Alabama and other southern states.