From: F. Barry Knotts <bknotts@buckeye-express.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Therm-X on the Legacy?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 07:57:55 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Craig,

As for the Therm-X and A/C, no problem, at least in a IV-P.  My IV-P project is at RDD now being fitted with Therm-X.  The Therm-X alternator takes the location that I had selected for my engine driven A/C compressor, so I opted to replace that A/C compressor with the Continental A/C compressor that sits behind the engine and is driven through one of the accessory pads.  (See photo) Overall effect on my weight is determined by the addition of the Therm-X alternator (and, of course, the controllers, wiring, etc.)  There is very nominal effect on my balance.  Another option would be to use an electric compressor and that could be located to optimize balance.  The electric option is a little more 'weighty.'

Of note, my empty weight CG is 0.25" forward of the forward edge of the W & B envelope.  Put a pilot in and/or any fuel and you are within the envelope.  This is an ideal situation.  Most loading scenarios put the CG in the forward half of the envelope.

The supercharger is another question altogether.  I have no information on that.  However, if you mean turbocharging (TSIO-550), then that is the configuration of the IV-P that I am building and there is no conflict, at all.

But if you really want the low-down on these installations, call Mark Mahnke at RDD.

Barry Knotts
LIV-P, N4XE
and N24XE (hoping for first flight in next 60 days)

On 5/9/2013 9:01 PM, Craig Jimenez wrote:
How has the group's experience been with RDD's Therm-X on the Legacy?