From: John Cox <johnwcox@pacificnw.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Stuck outside of Punta Arenas with them Memphis blues again
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:07:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
[LML] Stuck outside of Punta Arenas with them Memphis blues again
Forty one years ago I did the South Pole and then the North Pole over a five month period.  It was part of an aviation detachment aboard the Coast Guard Icebreaker Staten Island and VXE-6 out of Christchurch, NZ.

The Straights of Magellan and Punta Arenas was not a paradise.  As I remember there was a Chilean prison ship anchored off the coast, out in the Straights. Getting to the South Pole took a Herc 130 out of McMurdo and back again.

Bill's adventure brings back lots of memories and I look forward to his safe return with adventurous stories around a warm fire.  Heading north from the pole over the South 60 latitudes was unforgettable. Made me appreciate the existence of the Panama Canal.

New Zealand and points beyond were fabulous. The weather turned wicked after Feb 28th that year (1972) and the Antarctic Summer went quickly and directly into winter.  The one positive was the long period of sunlight each day.

Maybe Bill and I can share pictures together on his safe return home to the US of A.

Reliving vicariously thru Bill's travel postings.  the posts are a wonderful thing for General Aviation and the spirit of adventure.

John Cox

Sent: Tue 3/19/2013 11:03 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net

Hola Listers,

Just returned from the met office and it ain't good news.  There's a cold
rain falling here now and tomorrow will have rain with surface winds of 40
knots. The next several days have a series of fronts passing over Tierra del
Fuego, the Drake Passage and/or the Antarctic Peninsula.  If the passage is
forecast to be reasonably free of ice then there's ice over the peninsula or
vice versa. More often than not there's ice in all three places.  The met
guy says that this is the warmest year on record in this area. The warmth
brings moisture and ice.

Wednesday and Thursday are unacceptable and it's looking pretty grim for
getting to the pole any time this week. Saturday is the next possible window
and I'm waiting here to see if that pans out.  It's really too late in the
season to wait much longer than that. I'm formulating a plan B for putting
my tail between my legs and heading home.

I'll try to keep you guys up on what's going on.

Bill Harrelson
N5ZQ 320 2,150 hrs
N6ZQ  IV  220 hrs

--