From: Ted Noel <tednoel@cfl.rr.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Lancair GoPRO camera tail mount
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:39:59 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
It will be interesting to see if the camera remains pointed forward or if the relative wind in flight will make it point down...

Ted Noel

On 3/7/2013 12:17 AM, Dico Reijers wrote:
Hi All,

After talking with Bob Pastesuk the other day about mounting a GoPRO camera he mentioned wanting to mount his on the tail tie down (Lancair IV).  This got me thinking right away as I have mine mounted inside the cockpit with the audio run into it but I like the idea of having the camera outside.

This is what I ended up doing.  I got a 3/8" bolt about 2" long (this fits into the tie down hole in IV -- perhaps the other lancairs are similar in design) and an 1/4" bolt (which is a standard size for many camera mounts).   The end was cut off the 1/4" bolt.  I tapped the 3/8" bolt and inserted the 1/4" bolt into its head.    Thats pretty much it... a couple lock washer and flat washers rounded up the parts... cost was a couple bucks.

If you're wanted to use a GoPRO camera, you'll need this little camera mount piece which you can buy on ebay (5 for $6 or so with free shipping).  http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-plastic-gopro-mount-adapter-monopod-tripod-camera-hero-2-selfshoot-universal-/261098065652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccaa84ef4&vxp=mtr

Most other digital cameras come with a 1/4" hole in the bottom of them and you can just screw these on with the part above.

Going to test it tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I don't come back with the camera.

Thats all there is to it.  See the attached pics!

-Dico

--
Regards,

Dico Reijers