From: Miro Vidos <miro@esa.fer.hr>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] which engine/prop for 360 MKII?
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 08:53:16 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Unfortunately I have not received any replies yet.
I may have been too long in expressing my perspective, so people dont want to read it.
I feel ECi is the way to go.
Best prop that I have found for this bird would be MTV-12-B/175-59b
I have checked with MT, it should fit this engine.

Miro - Have you received any responses on your engine prop question?  I am also building a LNC2 MK2 and I'm at the point where I need to consider engine/prop combinations.  I also like the ECi engines.

Thanks

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Miro Vidos <miro@esa.fer.hr> wrote:
Ladies and gentleman,

If you can help me out with this discussion.
I am getting into process of building 360 MKII with long cowl and long
engine mount.

I have been doing a lot of brain storming about which engine to put in,
and here are some of the conclusions, feel free to comment

----
I have been looking at IO-360 with stock 200HP+ engine.
It is typically angled valve engine
I find it to be too expensive for what you get.
It is a smoother ride by heavier cause of the counter weights it has for
torsional harmonic suppression on crankshaft.
It is a lot of money and weight penalty for a slight increase of performance.
I see guys actually using short mount with this engine if you go for three
blade MT prop
----

Regarding prop, if you want three blade, the best solution on the market I
found would be MTV-12-B/175-59b

----

For Lancair 360 MKII airframe

I find it optimal to go with ECi IOX-360.
With 8.5:1 pistons, ECi is claiming to have 188HP.
ECi cylinder seem to be very advanced on design.
I feel that I would benefit with going additionally with front-horizontal
cold air induction and 7deg angled intake. I feel that angled intake is
actually a way for you to line-up with cowl front air-intake

I am not sure, if this engine with cold air would fit standard 360 long
cowl, or I would need to perform some modifications (with cold air, engine
is higher)?!.. let me know if you know more

If used with three blade MT prop, you do not need counter weight on crank.
That prop can take more abuse

Superior has a similar product, XP-360
Similar configuration to ECi, cold air and everything... But they do not
have advance cylinder design as ECi does.
But they do have revolutionary new camshaft and roller lifter design,
which is not available with ECi engine.
I feel that roller lifter design is not significant performance gain.
As far as I am aware XP-360 is rated to 180 HP

I do not want to offend anybody here, I am just openly expressing my
amateur overview on possibilities I had a chance to investigate, I am open
to all comments and suggestions on this subject

Thanks All!!